Diablo Usenet Software
Welcome to the home of Diablo - newsfeeding and newsreading server software.
Diablo is a comprehensive newsfeeding and newsreading software package
that was originally developed by
Matthew Dillon and now run as an open source project.
Diablo currently requires XMake to compile. XMake is available from the
The latest release version of Diablo is
5.1-REL. This and previous
versions of Diablo are available from
the OpenUsenet Diablo download page.
Major changes from Diablo 5.0-REL to 5.1-REL:
- Fix a posting corruption bug that has existed since the original Diablo - highly recommended to upgrade to fix this.
- Maximum Age Policy - controls maximum article age.
- Changes to hashfeed - REQUIRES CONFIG FILE CHANGE if hashfeed is enabled.
- New diablo.config option 'readeridenttimeout'.
- New dreaderd option 'ratelimitrange'.
- New contrib/ for 'feedgraph' - RRD graphs for feeds.
- New dreaderd dserver.hosts options 'retention' and 'groupdef'.
- Extension fo dexpire '-s' to sync after a number of files deleted.
- Various improvements to mmap and madvise compatibility.
- New diablo.config option 'feedermaxheadersize'.
- Many, many other smaller additions, fixes and performance improvements.
Full details of the changes can be found in the
Lists of major changes between older
versions of Diablo are also available.
Please report any bugs to diablo-bugs at openusenet.org.
Most of the Diablo documentation is included in the source distribution.
This includes the README.* files, man pages and most importantly, the
example files which are heavily commented.
Further documentation is:
Diablo Mailing Lists
There are some discussion lists available for Diablo. They are:
To subscribe, send an email message to LISTNAMEfirstname.lastname@example.org
(replacing LISTNAME with the name of the list above) with the body of the
message containing the single word 'subscribe'.
diablo-announce - moderated list for announcements concerning Diablo
diablo-users - open list for general discussion concerning Diablo
and it's development.
You can also subscribe by following the links above, which include
access to the mail archives if you are subscribed.
News Server Alternatives
If you are interested in an alternative to Diablo for newsreading and
newsfeeding, INN is
probably what you need as the next best thing in free Usenet server
The word 'diablo' means 'devil' in Spanish.